Campaigns were added to Eldritch Horror in the Masks of Nyarlathotep expansion.
The campaign mode has the following features:
- The players face a series of 6 Ancient Ones. If the players lose a single game, the campaign ends in failure.
- Each game in a campaign begins with two Prelude cards in play: one Prelude for the current Ancient One, and one Prelude for the Ancient One that must be faced in the next game.
- Personal Stories introduced in Masks of Nyarlathotep must be used when playing in campaign mode
- Some effects, both good and bad, from a campaign’s previous games will carry forward into the fight against subsequent Ancient Ones. For example:
- Once an investigator is defeated or devoured, they are eliminated for good, and won’t be able to come back for the remainder of the campaign.